ACES (Maya 2022 + Vray 5 + Nuke/Photoshop)
What is ACES?
The Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) is a global standard for interchanging digital image files, managing color workflows and creating masters for delivery and archiving.
It is a combination of SMPTE standards, best practices, and sophisticated color science developed by hundreds of professional filmmakers and color scientists under the auspices of the Science and Technology Council of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
ACES can be used on any type of production from features to television, commercials, AR/VR, and more.
- Download the Open Color IO configuration package from GitHub (aces 1.2 version).
2. Extract the folder to the C: driver.
- In Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Color Management, change the OCIO Config Path for the config.ocio from Open Color IO and save.
2. For the Color textures, change the color space for Utility — sRGB — Texture.
3. For Displacement, Normal, Roughness and Metallic, change the color space for Utility — Raw.
4. On Vray VFB:
- Change the Display Correction for OCIO.
- Load the same config.ocio from Open Color IO on OCIO File.
- Change the Input Colorspace for ACES — ACEScg and the View Transform for sRGB.
- Automatic method:
- Download the DL_ACES_Setup from Github and follow the script’s instructions.
- Manual method:
- In Project Settings > Color:
- Change the color management for OCIO.
- Change the OCIO config for custom.
- Load the config.ocio from Open Color IO.
2. On the Read node, Change the Colorspace for scene_linear (ACES — ACEScg).
3. On the Viewer, change for sRGB D60 sim. (ACES).
4. On the Write node, change the Colorspace for Output — sRGB (D60 sim.).
- Download the Open Color IO for Photoshop.
2. Access the plugin in Photoshop on the Filter tab.
3. In configuration, load the config.ocio from Open Color IO, and change the Output Space for Output — sRGB.
4. Export as .csp.
5. Load the .csp as a LUT using Color Lookup.
6. Access the plugin again:
- In configuration, load the config.ocio from Open Color IO.
- Change the Input Space for Utility — sRGB — Texture.
- Change the Output Space for Utility — Linear — sRGB.
- Export the new .csp called “Invert_sRGB”.
7. Always keep the two LUTs above other layers.